Friday, June 1, 2007

Happy Birthday Dad

My father turned 80 today - the two milestones I know he wanted to reach were this birthday and his 50th wedding anniversary. He has them both now and I couldn't be happier for him.

Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's two years ago this summer. It's easy to let the disease and its effects define him now, but on his birthday I'd rather rewind my memories of him. I have so much to thank him for - the ability to face life with a sense of humor, an appreciation of family, his unwavering support in my education and career and a love for sports and music. We all go through phases in our relationships with parents, and our appreciation for their role deepens considerably upon become a parent. There were many complaints and things I harbored against him as a child and teenager - as I matured, I got to see him as a person with the credits and debits we all own. On balance, he was on the plus side of the ledger.

Dad has six children - two are gone and I know he carries that grief with him to this day. He's proud of his 7 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren. He loves his wife of 52 years dearly. He has his good days and bad days, and the good ones still carry the majority.

I called him this morning to wish him a happy birthday. He gave me the Mickey Mantle line - "if I knew I was going to live this long, I would've taken better care of myself." We both laughed - and Dad, you took great care of me, and I'll always be grateful.

No comments: