Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Good Soldier

It's an extremely messy weather day here in the Boston area...woke up this morning at 5:45 to snow/freezing rain. Since then, it's gone from snow to rain and back again. Schools cancelled and my wife and I decided to work from home.

About 10am I get an email from a developer saying one of the QA servers is running slow, it's been up for almost a year and maybe it could benefit from a reboot. I send out the proper heads-up and reboot the sucker.

It doesn't come back up.

OK...it's QA...I can head to the datacenter (which is a 20-25 minute drive in good weather) tomorrow morning and deal with it. I talk to the QA manager - who informs me they REALLY need the server as they want to roll it out over the weekend.

Dang.

So, I jump in the car and DO THE RIGHT THING. Other than a near spin-out exiting Rte. 93 it was a relatively safe ride, albeit slow. I get to the DC, power-cycle the server (which hung up on its way down) and declare victory. Then it's another slow ride home and finishing up the workday. I've already shoveled the sidewalk twice, and the rain has turned the driveway snow into glop that can't be picked up by the snowblower.

More on the past weekend in another post.

No comments: