Monday, October 8, 2007

Catch up

Been way too long to update this blog. So, here's what's happening....

Have to call the doctor tomorrow. My right ankle has been swelling on me, mostly after standing too long or exercising. I felt something pop in it when I was playing volleyball at a company outing during the summer - it hasn't been an issue until two or three weeks ago. I haven't been good with my gym attendance, so it might be inactivity has weakened the muscle support around the ankle. Could be a lingering injury or the onset of arthritis....but I won't know until I get it looked at. I did buy a ankle support wrap after going to the gym this afternoon, so I'll use that until I get in.

Speaking of the gym, today was my first day back in two weeks. My weight is back up near 230 and my gut has returned. I had a cold that settled in my sinuses two weeks ago, and last week was a blur between work, attending the Dylan/Costello show and going to the BC game. The funny thing is that up until recently, I would've beaten myself over this, but nowadays I realize it and just set about to correct it. Maybe it's the onset of wisdom. :-)

Anyway, I know I need to get back on the stick and get into the gym 5 days a week. That and cut out the sweets, etc. I'll set a target weight/waist size and that usually gets me started.

The BC season has been an extremely pleasant surprise...they figured to be good, but undefeated and ranked #4 in the nation is heady stuff. I attended my 6th game in a row this past Saturday (5 home and Atlanta) and I'm more than happy to have a week off and watch the Notre Dame game on TV. I was actually thinking of driving down to NJ this weekend to see my family, but decided a weekend at home was needed. I'll probably head down the weekend of the 20th.

L and I went to see Bob Dylan (and his band) and Elvis Costello (solo) at the DCU Center in Worcester last Tuesday night. Met up with some friends and had dinner/drinks, then headed in to catch Elvis into his second song. I've been an Elvis fan for decades, and I loved the solo format. He played 45 minutes and mixed in the hits with some unreleased songs. Hope he comes back next year with his full band.

Dylan's voice is shot, even by his standards. The rumor is that he has carpal tunnel syndrome, which limits him to guitar on his first 3 songs, before switching over to keyboards for the rest of the evening. He has a great band though and I thought it was a good show. Glad I finally got a chance to see him.

Took G out on the road for the first time two weeks ago, on an early Saturday morning. She did well - was understandably nervous when she started, but settled down and even got out on two of the main drags here.

Work has been slow...I'm growing more and more doubtful of there being a fulltime job for me once the work is transitioned to a data center out of the state. However, I am working and should be secure at least through the end of the year, if not a bit into the new year. It's been a full year since I was let go from my last job - can't say I miss it.

No comments: