Friday, January 26, 2007

Less Than Zero

Coldest day in two years - awakened this morning to see a reading of -1 in the backyard. Add a stiff wind, and it was frigid.

So, of course, just before leaving the house, I hear my daughter ask, "Why do I need gloves?" Oy vey. It turns out she lost/misplaced hers - I was sorely tempted to teach her a life lesson and send her off without them, but the fear of frostbite setting in persuaded me. So she gets my gloves.

Do I even need to add that she didn't bring a hat either?

So, she has my hat and gloves, while I have a headband and a pair of gloves I had to buy on my way in. Lest I forget, she is a honor student at her high school.

Speaking of succumbing to my good nature, I ran into Boston after work to visit my friend Lofty Mario, who is recuperating from knee replacement surgery in MGH. I had to bring his cellphone recharger in, so he can keep in contact with his female friends he meets on the various Internet dating sites...and a cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee, a little cream, no sugar. I wound up braving the cold for five blocks up Cambridge Street...next time, I buy it close to home and he can have one of the nurses nuke it in the microwave.

No comments: