Monday, January 22, 2007

The Week That Was

I had hoped to post last week, but never got around to it. Just never got back into a cycle after the Jersey trip, then had to work late Wednesday night (as in driving to the DC at 10pm and not getting to bed until 1:30) and going out for some bevvies on Friday night. So I've been out of sync for a bit - this week should be a lot quieter.

Spent a good chunk of the weekend installing the Slingbox we purchased for Christmas. I ran down to Circuit City and bought the Slinglink router package...the good news is that you plug one end into the router and the other into the Slingbox and the signal gets carried through the house wiring. The bad news is you have to plug it directly into an outlet, and not a power strip, and with outlets at a premium, it makes for some creative electrical work. Anyway, I got it up and running and was watching it on a my PC Saturday night.

Sunday is when the fun began...the DirecTv receiver's hard drive was starting to make grinfding noises, and it finally gave up the ghost. So it was back to the store to buy a replacement receiver. Spent a good half-hour waiting on the phone for DirecTv's customer service, but I got it up and running yesterday afternoon. My task for next weekend is to unplug my audio/video equipment, clear out everything that isn't being used and streamlining the wiring. That will take up an afternoon. I have a turntable and cassette deck that I'll probably set aside somewhere...haven't used them in years.

Watched the Pats game over at my friend Willy's house....his Pats fan friends were suitably downcast at the end. The ice cream sandwiches I brought over weren't enough to cheer them up.

No comments: