Monday, January 15, 2007

Why should you want to take my bad trip?

Indeed.

Back home after a long weekend. Crappy weather, saw another bad accident on the Merritt Parkway south on the way home this afternoon (2 SUVs mangled one another and wound up blocking the 2 lanes - add the police and rescue trucks in the median and shoulder, and no one was going anywhere).

Stopped by my folks before leaving - my dad (who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's since July 2005) had called to make sure we were going to come by. When I drove up the street past the house, he was looking for us through the storm door. And that ain't my dad. As the disease progresses, he grows more worried and nervous about things. He goes through phases where he doesn't recognize my mom as his wife, which understandably upsets her. It's a long, hard row to hoe, and all I can do is try to make things easier for them. Today broke my heart though.

We did go to Steve's in Carlstadt last night and had a good dinner. Awful service - the waitress had us on her "pay no mind" list and we had to keep asking for a utensil setup for our daughter, a drink order, etc.

It's good to be home...I'm beat.

No comments: